Why Fertilize Your Lawn?
- Encourage grass growth to keep weeds and moss at bay, thereby avoiding the use of chemicals.
- Gives your grass the ability to re-cover damaged areas quickly.
- Encourages strong, healthy growth to minimize diseases.
- Encourages deep roots that help to tolerate drought and other stress conditions.
- To encourage a thick, dense, and green lawn that is a pleasure to lie on!
When is the Right Time to Fertilize and Overseed?
|Your first fertilizer application should be made between April and May, just before the heat of summer arrives. A feeding of slow release nitrogen (SRN) will allow the plant to rebuild it's energy reserves to help tolerate the stresses of summer, including drought, heat, disease and insects. A percentage of SRN can feed the grass for 6-8 weeks.
|A second application of fertilizer should be scheduled between July and August. Try and time your application prior to a rainfall to ensure that the product gets adequately watered in.
|A third application, scheduled for September, should be made to encourage the roots to build sugars, or root reserves, to help it to overwinter.
|Overseeding, in addition to fertilizing, is also important in encouraging a thick lawn. Early spring and early fall is the best time to overseed. Be sure to pick a seed mixture that is suitable to your environment.
Where can you find more information and products for healthy lawn maintenance?
Lawn & Garden Grass Seed & Fertilizer Available at all Holmes Agro Locations
Orangeville, Stayner, Redickville and Flamborough
Hours: Mon-Fri 8:00-5:00, Sat 8:00-12:00 (May & June)
Specializing in... Lawn Fertilizer - Lawn Seed Mixtures
Ontario Lawn Care Simplified!